Wednesday, May 10, 2006

What makes you happy?

There's a piece on the BBC website about happiness, asking the question: what makes you happy? Well, here are some of mine.


  • Sitting on top of Glyder Fach (a Welsh mountain) facing into the wind.

  • Getting a broken model railway engine working again.

  • Making part of an engine out of plastic, showing it to my son (nearly 4), and he says, "that's brilliant!"

  • Finally being able to open the back door without it sticking, after I've followed my wife's instructions and filed off the bumpy bit at the bottom.

  • Fixing a particularly knotty bug at work.

  • Being there, and being able to offer encouragement, when my two boys were born.

  • Chelsea winning the league by beating Manchester United 3-0.

  • Eating pickled chillis.

  • Listening to "Here comes the sun" while driving in the dark to my mum's, with my boy asleep in the car seat next to me.

  • My wedding day - having all the people who were important to me in the same place at the same time.

  • Watching election night 1997 with my dad. (So much has changed since then!)

  • Sitting on a beach in the sun, watching the waves go in and out.

  • The scent of lilac blossom.

  • Playing my guitar.

  • Playing my guitar at church, looking at the congregation, and seeing that they're all totally lost in worship, and I've helped them to get there.

  • Being allowed to go to sleep in the afternoon.

  • The story of the Prodigal Son (Luke 15), especially: "But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him". That's me, that is.


Go on, draw up your own list. Put it in a reply, or (better) post it on your own blog and link to it in a comment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home